Services : Copyright
Did you know that whenever an original literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work is created, it is automatically protected by copyright in all but very few countries of the world? Besides the obvious examples, copyright may subsist in marketing materials, spreadsheet macros, business correspondence, instruction manuals, web interfaces, and even comments on a blog or Twitter messages.
In today’s world, almost all companies – with very rare exceptions – own or use copyrighted works. Failing to understand or pay attention to copyright rules often leads to frustrating and costly showdowns.
Copyright has been the focus of my legal career since 1994. Protecting innovation and defending copyright is what drives my passion as a lawyer.
I provide a full scope of copyright services for authors, artists, startups and large corporations.
- Legal opinions as to:
- Registration of copyrights with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office;
- Drafting and revision of:
- Registration of licences and assignments with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office;
- Worldwide enforceability checkup of copyright licenses and assignments;
- Assisting parties in negotiation of copyright agreements;
- Due diligence re: copyright transfers;
- Consulting authors and copyright owners whose copyrights have been infringed;
- Consulting parties who believe that they have been wrongfully accused of infringing someone else’s copyrights;
- Representing companies and individuals in court.